Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Respect People's Lives, Respect Humanity - A Plea to All


This morning, the day started off as usual for me. I was late as usual, was hurrying to reach office in the nick of time as usual. But what was not usual was a car standing in the middle of a road at a turn in front of a temple. I stopped behind the car and saw some commotion in front of the car. Some small girls of around 7-8 years of age were crying, trying to push and beat a guy in a cycle aged around 10-11 years and he was trying to escape.

I was waiting for the commotion to clear as I felt they were having some minor fight over something as it's Tuesday and people generally give them stuff to eat and all. But when I saw that a small girl of around 6 years was dragged to the divider by the other girls, I was horrified! The little child was bleeding from the head and was fainting. The people inside the car that was ahead of me were just sitting inside the car and watching.

The moment the car passed by, I parked my bike in the middle of the road to stop the traffic and help the girl. Some morons were honking and trying to find a way past the bleeding girl but I could hardly care any less. I lifted the girl from the divider and took her to the side of the road. I then asked other people standing over there and watching the 'drama' to stop an auto. An auto driver carrying a girl eventually stopped to help. I took the little girl to the auto and made her sit comfortably. Another small girl who knew the bleeding girl accompanied her in the auto.

I took the little girl to the nearest hospital in B-10 market, Vasant Kunj (called Apollo Pharmacy). The girl who was originally in the auto was very supportive and she got down midway so that the little girl could be taken to the hospital in the auto itself. The auto driver was also very supportive as he ensured that the girl was safely dropped to the hospital and left without taking any money.

Couple of nurses immediately rushed to me when they saw me carrying a bleeding girl. They attended to the girl, made her feel comfortable and a Doctor came in. The Dcotor assured me that there is nothing to worry about and that the little girl is fine. They bandaged the girl, gave her some painkiller and asked the other girl who was accompanying the bleeding girl to ask her parents to come over to the hospital once for further medication. They thanked me for bringing the girl to the hospital and then released her so that she could go home or else her parents will panic.

I, then, once again arranged an auto to take them home which was nearby. A biker who was present in the spot of the accident had originally left the spot but came back to ensure if the girl is fine or not. He offered to pay for the medical expenses and the auto fares and said sorry to me for leaving earlier as he was getting 'late' for something. I thanked him for his concern and offering to pay for the expenses. I finally dropped the girl home.

I'm still shocked and horrified at people's response this morning. It literally shook the ground beneath me and thrown me back to reality. People have become so heartless and materialistic today that they have absolutely no respect for others' lives and humanity in general. People nowadays prefer to watch another human being bleeding on the road from the comfort of their luxurious cars instead of lending a helping hand.

Today's incident makes me wonder - What fantasy world I'm living in? It could have been me on the road bleeding to death. Many people might not have helped the little girl because she was from a nearby slum; she was not wearing those fancy, expensive designer wears but was coated with sand and soil from the road, with blood on her clothes and touching her would have made their neatly pressed clothes dirty.

Are your clothes more important than a person's life? I can bet my life on it - IT IS NOT!!

I humbly plead to one and all that please do not be so heartless in life. Value a person's life; it is much more priceless than anything else in this universe. Please do not be like that biker who came at the end to offer money. Your money may not be sufficient to save a person's life but your couple of minutes at the right moment could be.

Kindly spare a moment to think over my plea; it could make a big difference in somebody's life and help them live a priceless life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment